Guardian Holiday Offers Sustainability Policy
This policy covers the services provided by Guardian Holiday Offers, Guardian Cottages and Villas and Guardian Home Exchange. These services involve Cruise Holidays, Accommodation and Food, Organised Tours and Travel including Air, Rail and Coach.
This document sets out our understanding of the sustainability principles/impacts associated with the provision of our travel services and the standards we set of ourselves and our travel partners.
We aim to identify destinations & types of holidays we think will most appeal to our readers & customers. One of the most important elements of this is identifying a trustworthy tour operator who understands our ethos.
Our ethos is based on the Guardian values that run through the heart of our selection processes. We are committed to legal, ethical and responsible conduct in all of our and our supplier’s operations.
We expect all of our partners along with their subsidiaries, affiliates and sub-contractors (jointly “Suppliers”), to adhere to these same commitments:
- Social Justice - Respect for the rights of all individuals, protection of human rights and fair labour practices.
- The Environment- Respect and care for the environment to support human health, resources and the climate.
- Economic Equity - Ensure financial stability of partners, provide fair opportunities for small and local suppliers and removal of corruption in all its forms.
- Passenger Welfare - Understanding the diverse needs, well-being and ensure the security & safety of our travellers.
- Child Labour - No person is employed who is below the minimum local legal minimum age for employment or the age for completing compulsory education. Where a child (a person younger than 15) is employed, the best interests of the child shall be the primary consideration.
- Working Practice - Employees are treated with respect and dignity. Physical or verbal abuse or other harassment and any threats or other forms of intimidation are prohibited. Forced, bonded or compulsory labour is not used.
- Health & Safety - A healthy and safe working environment is provided for employees, in accordance with national laws. This includes access to clean toilet facilities and drinkable water. Working hours of employees comply with national laws and are not excessive.
- Cruise - We aim to use smaller ships that move away from the current trend of floating resorts so travellers have a more intimate and cultural experience on their holiday. To operate, these ships will need to meet the cruise industry standards of engine efficiency and emissions in line with best practice. Where possible, we aim to promote cruises that sail from the UK to minimise the need for flights. At sea and in dock industry regulations will also need to be adhered to.
- Travel - We understand that travel has a negative impact on the environment, through air pollution and the use of natural finite resources. Where possible, we aim to offer holidays that balance holiday experience and environmental risk.
- Hotels & Accommodation - Our travellers will stay in a range of accommodation from
large chain hotels and small family run accommodation. We expect the following where
- Local, ethical and seasonally sourced goods and services
- Energy and water efficiency programmes or actions
- Reduce, reuse, recycle and safe and legal disposal of waste and emissions
- Protection and prevention of pollution of local environments
Due to the number, complexity and variety of hotels used, we will work closely with our travel partners to improve in this area.
Passenger Welfare from our Travel partners & suppliers
- Traveller Discrimination - Negative discrimination including racial, disability or sexual is prohibited. We wish to provide a positive and inclusive experience for any traveller (including those with physical and mental disability) by providing appropriate communication, facilities or where possible, alternative arrangements.
- Traveller Safety - Traveller safety is our primary concern. Through liaising with our travel suppliers, the Guardian editorial teams and following up to date foreign office information, no regional destination deemed unsafe for tourism will be promoted through any of our holiday offers. Our travellers can also take advice from local guides provided who can advise on any safety concerns or issues.
- Traveller Experience - Itineraries are well thought-out with experienced guides
- Financial Security - Where applicable our travel partners are fully vetted and bonded through one or more of the following licenses:
- Anti-Corruption - No form of bribery, including improper offers for payments to or from employees, or organisations, is tolerated.
- Local Business - Where possible, we work with and support smaller independent travel companies which have been recommended to us by the Guardian editorial team. This allows us to offer something unique to our customers and work with travel companies that understand and support local communities and boost local economies.