Your holiday summary
Make your own way
|Price range||From £925|
Need help with your booking?
0330 333 6737
Photography and cookery holiday in Morocco
- A total of 5 days of photography tuition (approx. 5 hours per day), you will have a total of 7 photography sessions over the week which consist of at least 1 photography session followed by a review of the images in the evening with your tutor. Your photography tuition also includes private one-on-one sessions with your tutor, private photography tutorials take place during the week and the exact days and time will be confirmed on arrival
- Photography activities include, sunset photography, visit to the countryside, Berber communities, and an Argan oil production cooperative, all transport (where necessary) to each photography session 2 cooking classes lasting between 3-5 hours each lesson, which includes the market visits, cooking and eating the meal you’ve learned to cook that day
- Cooking lessons will usually take place on day 4 and day 6 in the mornings (exact dates and time will be confirmed on arrival)
- All breakfast and group dinners daily at the Riad and in local restaurants, except for one night when you will have the opportunity to dine at the restaurant of your choice at an extra cost Please note: The location of your evening meals does vary from week to week and depends on where the group would like to eat (usually 1 evening is spent in the Riad). The lunch you have learned to cook after your 2 cooking classes. Other lunches are taken out on location and are not included in the price (but should be inexpensive)
- 7 nights accommodation in a private en-suite room in a Moroccan Riad, the Maison du Sud (no single supplements) PLEASE NOTE: If the Riad is unavailable you will be offered a 2nd Riad of the same standard and location, Riad Inna. You will arrive on day 1 and check out of the accommodation by 11am on day 8
- A return airport transfer to and from the Riad from Marrakech airport if you arrive between 3pm-8pm (a supplement applies for arrivals and departures outside of these times)
You’ll be collected from Marrakech airport and transferred to your accommodation in Essaouira (around 2 hour 15 mins drive) - Please note that you should plan to arrive between 3pm-8pm as transfers for arrivals outside of these times are charged as an extra - You will have time to settle into your luxurious Moroccan Riad and soak up the creative atmosphere, in the evening you will enjoy a traditional Moroccan meal and mint tea
Day 2 – Photography camera fundamentals and tutor feedback
Your photography course starts at 10am after breakfast with a wander around the beautiful town of Essaouira, the home of your photography tutor and famous the world over? - Essaouira has stunning architecture, fishing ports and labyrinths of Souks and bustling markets? - In your first day you’ll have 2 workshops on camera fundamentals workshop (camera controls, exposure - ISO, shutter speed, aperture and histograms) - Before the evening meal you will have the chance to review and get feedback on your initial images.
Day 3 – Photography abstract workshop and private one on one session
The focus of today’s tuition will be on 2 abstract workshops in the medina and port, focussing mostly on using depth of field - You will also benefit from a one-to-one feedback during the day to assess your progress, providing feedback on your images and taking your understanding a step further - After lunch you will have the afternoon free to explore, relax, visit the beach or practise your photography independently or you can take part in optional afternoon activities (extra charges may apply) - Following the evening group meal you will have a chance to review the images of the day with your tutor.
Day 4 – Cooking class and evening sunset photography
Today is the start of your cooking course which lasts around 3-5 hours together with the market visit and eating your delicious dishes - After breakfast head to the kitchen to meet your cook Naima - Naima will take you on a tour of the spice markets to explore the ingredients that are used in Moroccan cuisine - After the market you’ll head to the kitchen to produce your first two dishes that you will enjoy for lunch - From the two cooking workshops you have a choice from Harira - traditional Moroccan soup or Zaalouk (aubergine and tomato salad) followed by a choice of tagine (lamb with almonds and dates, beef with prunes and walnuts, chicken with olives) or the world famous Moroccan pastille (filo pastry traditionally wrapped around pigeon or more usually chicken) and traditional Moroccan flatbread - Enjoy some free time this afternoon to practice your new found photography skills or if you prefer, head to the beach or to the souks for some shopping - In the early evening you will have a tutor led sunset photography session, a chance to get some good shots of camel riders and horse riders in the dusk - After this there will be an evening group meal and a chance to review the images of the day.
Day 5 – Photographing Berber communities, visit cascades and argan oil production
Today will be given to exploring and photographing the stunning Moroccan countryside, flowers and Berbers communities - Your tutor will take you to untouched countryside north of Essaouira and to visit a Berber souk at Had Draa and to the south of Essaouira to Sidi Kouki - From here you will walk to the cascades at Sidi m’barek and passing numerous Argan trees, the region’s main agricultural source, you will arrive at a co-operative for Argan oil production - A group meal of traditional Moroccan food is planned for the evening - You can retire to the roof of the Riad with your fellow students to enjoy the sunset and a sweet mint tea.
Day 6 – Second cooking class and photography review
Following breakfast you’ll begin your second cooking class - The afternoon is free to explore, relax, visit the beach or practise your photography independently or you can take part in an optional afternoon activity (extra charge) - You will be guided on a tutor led tour of the port and in the early evening the vibrant Moroccan souks - As on previous days you will enjoy a group dinner preceded by a review of the day’s workshop and your images.
Day 7 – One-on-one private photography tutorial
After breakfast you will enjoy another one-to-one tutorial with your tutor - You will also have a free time photography session before lunch (lunch is an extra cost) - You will have the afternoon to photograph or relax independently and your tutor Darren has a host of suggestions of what to do in your free time depending on how much energy you have you can perhaps try Kite surfing, a spot of shopping, visit to a hamman and more or if you prefer, just relax on the beach? - In the evening it will be time for your farewell dinner where you will all eat together in the restaurant of your beautiful Moroccan Riad and take time to select your favourite images and create a slide show
Day 8 – Departure and transfer
After breakfast you will check out of the Riad in time to be taken to Marrakech airport for your return flight.
The itinerary is for guidance only and is subject to change depending on the group’s needs and wishes.
This holiday is booked by phone. Click 'book now' to make a reservation request to our travel partner who will call you back to confirm your booking details and take payment. To speak to a representative now please call 0330 333 6737.