Your holiday summary
|Price range||From £1079|
|Travel partner||Newmarket Holidays|
Need help with your booking?
0330 333 6731
Romantic Rhine cruise to Switzerland 2015 By coach via Newcastle
- Return coach travel from your chosen pick-up point
- Embark in Andernach, disembark in Cologne
- Return overnight DFDS Seaways' crossings with accommodation in a two-berth inside cabin with private facilities
- Eight nights' accommodation in a standard lower cabin (upgrade cabins available)
- Full-board arrangements while on board, including afternoon tea, coffee and cake, and late-night snacks
- Two cruises (north and south) through the Rhine Gorge
- A guided walking tour of Speyer
- Calls at Strasbourg, Mannheim and Mainz
- A visit to Breisach
- An overnight stop in Basel, Switzerland
- On-board English commentary
- On-board entertainment including a welcome cocktail party and a Captain's Farewell Dinner
- Luggage porterage
- The services of a friendly, professional crew
- The services of a Newmarket cruise manager
- All prices are per person and based on two sharing
- Single cabins are available for a supplement
Leaving the local area in the morning we travel to Newcastle for our overnight sailing. Alternatively, make your own way to the port and meet the coach there before we begin our crossing.
Our ship arrives on the Continent in the morning, and from there we'll continue by coach to join Olympia in the ancient Rhine town of Andernach. After a first evening meal on board, retire to your comfortable cabin.
Olympia heads upstream into the Middle Rhine - passing Koblenz and the Ehrenbreitstein castle - through a land of vineyards, castles and villages into the Rhine Gorge beneath the fabled Lorelei. This afternoon we'll arrive in Rudesheim. Stroll along the Drosselgasse, and join our optional excursion to Siegfried's Musikkabinett, travelling on the local 'Winzer Express' train.
A morning cruise brings you to the ancient city of Speyer. Join our included walking tour of this, one of the most important cities in the Holy Roman Empire, with its UNESCO-listed cathedral and Altstadt (old town).This evening, enjoy dinner and entertainment on board, as Olympia moors in Speyer for the night.
Olympia arrives, this afternoon, in the Alsace capital of Strasbourg. Join an optional excursion by boat through the city's winding canals, and discover its soaring Notre-Dame cathedral - one of France's great Gothic churches - and the buildings of the European Parliament and the Council of Europe.
A leisurely cruise this morning brings you to Basel, Switzerland's only gateway to the sea. Explore the bustling Altstadt and Marktplatz, and perhaps take in the views from atop the Munster. This afternoon's excursion visits the Rhine Falls, with the option to take a boat ride (payable locally).
Today's full-day optional excursion reveals lakeside Lucerne, with its restored wooden 'Chapel Bridge'. Enjoy a guided walking tour before heading through the surrounding Swiss countryside to rejoin Olympia in Breisach as she pauses on her northward journey to Kehl.
After a morning's scenic cruising, Olympia calls at Mannheim, from where you can join an optional excursion to Heidelberg on the wooded south bank of the Neckar. One of Germany's 'must-see' destinations, Heidelberg has inspired poets - and operetta composers - for centuries. You'll rejoin Olympia in Mainz, and have the opportunity to take a stroll through the town after dinner.
Cruise back, along the most romantic stretch of the Rhine, to Cologne. Here our final optional excursion introduces the city, with its twin-towered Gothic cathedral and surrounding Altstadt, before you join the Captain and fellow guests for a special Farewell Dinner and entertainment on board.
Step ashore at the end of the voyage this morning, and begin your return journey to Amsterdam where you'll board the overnight DFDS Seaways' sailing back to Newcastle.
Our ship arrives in Newcastle in the morning, and once back in the UK, we'll make our way to the local area by coach.
MS Olympia with Overnight Ferry
Modern, well-equipped Olympia offers all you could wish to ensure that you enjoy every moment of your Rhine cruise. Offering accommodation and dining facilities for just under a hundred passengers, the ship has a warm, intimate feeling about her the minute you step on board.