Your holiday summary
Special interest holidays
Art & archaeology
Make your own way
|Price range||From £289|
|Travel partner||Travel Editions|
Need help with your booking?
0330 333 6761
At Home with William Morris
A great Victorian in the Home Counties
Special Event highlights:
- Red House, Morris' home at Bexleyheath and a great inspiration for his early works
- Original Morris & Co features at Standen House
- Little Holland House, a unique testament to the English Arts & Crafts Movement
- Lectures by Dr Anne Anderson or Mike Hope on William Morris and The Arts & Crafts Home
- 'Art' interiors at Charleston Farmhouse, painted by Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant
Tour highlights include Red House, Morris' home at Bexleyheath, Little Holland House in Carshalton, Charleston Farmhouse and Standen House with its original Morris & Co interiors.
- 2 nights' accommodation in standard room on bed and full breakfast basis at 4-star Hilton Hotel, Croydon
- Welcome reception
- Thursday private evening 3 course dinner with wine
- Friday dinner in the hotel restaurant
- One light lunch
- All talks, guided tours, entrance fees and escorted coach transfers as detailed in the itinerary
- Single room supplement
- Extra nights on bed and breakfast basis
- Holiday insurance
- Meals other than those stated
- Items of a personal nature such as drinks, laundry, telephone calls etc
- Porterage and gratuities.
Welcome drink and lecture by Dr Anne Anderson "William Morris at Home", follwed by dinner with wine.
A morning visit to Little Holland House, Carshalton, the home of Frank Dickinson (1874-1961), artist, designer and craftsman. The interior features paintings, furniture and craftwork made by Dickinson. Inspired by John Ruskin and William Morris, he dreamt of creating a house that would meet with their approval. The result is a unique testament to the English Arts and Crafts movement, designed, built and furnished by one man. After lunch (included) it's off to Bexleyheath and to visit Red House, built for William Morris and his bride, Jane Burden, in 1860. Morris's idyll was short lived as he sold the house in 1865. But his famous early designs, Bird and Trellis, Pomegranate and Daisy were inspired by the garden and it was creating the house that inspired Morris to found his famous firm in 1861. Evening lecture by Dr Anne Anderson "The Arts and Crafts Home."
A morning visit to Charleston Farmhouse, Lewes, the home and meeting place of the artistic and intellectual Bloomsbury Group, which numbered Vanessa Bell, Duncan Grant and Virginia Woolf. This interior is more art than craft, being painted by Bell and Grant. Next, to Standen House, home of the Beale family, where you will have lunch (not included). Built by Philip Webb, the house retains its original Morris & Co. interiors. Both houses evoke the idyll of country living before the First World War. Return to the hotel approximately 17.30pm.
NB: Exact order of excursions may vary according to local conditions and tour manager's discretion
Please note the maximum group size on this tour is 49 passengers.
Located just outside Croydon, the 4-star Hilton offers a high standard of comfort. Facilities at this stylish, modern hotel include gym, bar, restaurant and very comfortable bedrooms with private bath/shower, TV, telephone, tea/coffee and hairdryer.
This holiday is booked by phone. Click 'book now' to make a reservation request to our travel partner who will call you back to confirm your booking details and take payment. To speak to a representative now please call 0330 333 6761.
The Tour Manager and Expert Leader and Lecturer were excellent, very knowledgeable and very audible in the large group situation. This was a most enjoyable and informative tour and I hope to go on a similar one in the future. Thank you very much.
The whole experience far exceeded my expectations. This was the first time I have been on an organised trip and also the first time I have been away on my own, having lost my husband recently. It was my first trip with your company but will not be my last. It was very professionally run by Anne and Scott and they are delightful people who make everyone feel very involved and welcome. Thank you.
Mrs J Roberts